Tuesday, March 7, 2023

 

Wrestling With the Heart

I did not try to write a song
and did not learn to dance. 
Forgot to ask a beauty out
drank too much instead.
Said I couldn't do these things
retreated into work
didn't think enough to solve
puzzles simple as dirt. 

Just a normal life really
nothing too extreme
grinding slowly down to stop
silently wishing.

Until one day remembering
bullies after school while
bending iron in the gym
weighing all the rules. 

Eyesight's not a problem 
when you're on the mat
a nerdy little book master
waiting for his chance.   

Here comes the JV quarterback
the boy was he a load
160 pounds of muscle meat
my hand around his heart

Classmates in the bleachers
guidance counselor smiles!
Enjoying some sweet animal bliss
avoiding desks awhile.   
 
And it was a riot
longest minutes around
had to keep on going
or be driven
into the ground. 

Downtown is here
my tough guys!
Lured into this scene
with a ref and fairness
fuming  profusely. 

Welcome boys
Let's see 
what happens
when we meet
this time.

Here's a copy
DH Lawrence
read some
anytime. 

So memories just hit me
one day the mirror talked
it said you are 240 pounds
what happened to your heart? 

Since then a lot has happened
walking thousands of miles
remembering the day...

The heart is an explosion
always every day
awaiting our permission
to come on out and play.   

But bullies are still waiting
with their jabs to start
while I write these songs to you
on mats with fonts and heart. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured

  Let's Hang Let the good times roll as much as you can get this freakish trash out of my hair Covid came and got me this Christmas my m...